Multiple Sales Tax Rates

AndyPAndyP Member Posts: 7

Here in the US, each state is broken up into counties. Wisconsin has about 72 of them. Each county (and some cities too) has the ability to charge their own sales tax over and above the state sales tax.  So we keep track of the county in which a Wisconsin customer lives in so we can charge the correct sales tax.  LS OnSite made it very easy to charge the correct tax rate and keep track of which counties we were sending tax payments to. In LS Retail, we use the TAX NAME category to do this. However, LS Retail cannot give me a report that includes the TAX NAME category. So how does every other LS Retail user in the United States keep track of the individual tax rates by county or city?  LS must have thousands of examples, but I cannot seem to find a solution.

10 comments

• AndyPAndyP Member Posts: 7

I take it that nobody from Lightspeed has any clue here. Great. So glad we were forced to make a switch to a vastly inferior program.

• lancemuzlancemuz Member Posts: 27

You can filter by Sales Tax name in the Sales Lines report. You would think that filter would be available in the Sale Tax report but apparently it is not.

• Allen109Allen109 Member Posts: 3

You may have to sign up for 'Lightspeed Analytics'

It is an add-on reporting service that has many many many detailed reports. You can also create a custom report usuaing practically any sort of measures you wish to track.

Annoying that it isn't included in the native Lightspeed retail program, but at least there is a solution.

Lancemuz. Its interesting...in that report you can filter based on tax name, but when you save it as a csv, only the tax rate is shown, not the tax name. So I can see how much tax I've collected, but I cannot discern to which county the taxes need to be paid.

Allen109 LA doesn't help, unfortunately. It amazes me to think that we are the only retail company that is struggling to create a report to pay sales taxes to individual counties.

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 511 moderator

Hey @AndyP

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on being able to export the sales tax report with the class name as well as the rate. We've noted it in our list of requested changes to the software.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

Thank you Vanessa, but how do retail users keep track of county sales taxes now? There must be other users that have to collect and pay taxes to counties and cities, as well as just a state tax. Am I really the only retailer who's asked this question??

• lancemuzlancemuz Member Posts: 27

@AndyP it should be no problem for me to create a report that does exactly what you need in getopt.io. Send me a private message if you would like to discuss in more detail or just register for a free trial.

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 511 moderator

Hey @AndyP ,

For the time being, you could go to Reports -> Grouped Sales Total by Tax Class report

From there, you can view each tax class and export each result individually depending if you need the breakdown by sale ID or not.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

Cheers!

Vanessa D.

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

Doesn't work that way Vanessa, but I appreciate you trying! There are 72 counties in Wisconsin and each county needs a monthly report showing how much sales tax was collected from customers purchasing from their county. We use the TAX NAME category to collect the correct amount of sales tax for each county. But there is no report that uses the TAX NAME category.