Printing Ecom orders direct to printer without download

Uncle_MiltonUncle_Milton Member Posts: 18

Wondering why this hasnt come up before especially for those of us using LS retail and Ecom combined.... Downloading the packing slip or invoice as a PDF before printing is a time waster....why cant we print directly just like in LS retail and as an added bonus allow us to print to our zebra printer.

7 comments

• rsirotarsirota Member Posts: 86

I second that.. I need to have people other than users get the packing slip in eCom!

• JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 271 moderator

Hi @Uncle_Milton

There are three different topics here and I'll try to explain the best I can:

1. The packing slip in created as a PDF and it depends on your browser settings if it downloads or opens directly. This means there is no need to download. Also, if you want to speed up your workflow you have the option to bulk print packing slips from the Orders page. This will generate a single PDF with all the selected packing slips, one per page. This allows you to easily print all "Awaiting Shipment" packing slips.
    2. The packing slip is not designed to print on a receipt printer, in the expected workflow you print the slip on a letter or A4 format for the pickers (store staff) to go around and collect the product, tick off what they collected (optionally by using the barcode) and possibly add notes. This would be very difficult with a receipt size (and quality) paper. This format is industry standard and thus we do not have any plans on changing this atm. The Design Templates in eCom allow you to modify the design and thus you could make it smaller. This is available for Professional packages or contact your AM to get this added separately.
    3. In regards to @rsirota, currently the only way to print packing slips is from the orders page in eCom and thus the user would need to have the Orders permission.
    eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
    eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • Uncle_MiltonUncle_Milton Member Posts: 18

Just getting back to this as I apparently dont get email notifications for responses ... likely a setting I need to change in my profile.

I get the "print packing slips" function for all open orders is handy. having the option to select the receipt printer would be handier at least for my store....

Lastly, Ecomm is forcing the download not Chrome... I have chrome set to not download PDF's

• Uncle_MiltonUncle_Milton Member Posts: 18

I have been using the print packing slips function from the orders page only to find that each time I do I get an email notification that my download is ready?? Deleting multiple additional emails is not my idea of time well spent. This really needs to be addressed

Hi @Uncle_Milton,

Can you check if the following setting is disabled: Settings -> Account -> Edit ->Email notification for completed exports

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • whappycannabiswhappycannabis Member Posts: 19

If you guys have some development experience, then I recommend you look into webhooks... I have set those up for my shop. I get the data from LS eCom through a webhook as soon as the order is placed by the client online. I have the webhook pointing to a server I have at the store, and then I take the information I need from the JSON received through the webhook, save it to a text file that I then send to my thermal receipt printer. It's a bit of a setup but once it's going, it's a HUGE time saver :) Good luck!