Problems with search.

ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 103 
edited June 25 in Feedback

OK, so I enter a new serialised product but cant find it unless I know the EXACT description.

PRODUCT NAME: Green thing with spikes

MFTR SKU: Chicken - 123

SERIAL: 45678

If I type in "Chicken" I can't find it.

If I type in "123" i can't find it.

If I type in "45678" into a serial search, it gives me a page that shows "Green thing with spikes" with a hyperlink on it, but upon clicking it, I get taken to a page that only talks about "Workorders" and doesn't reference the product AT ALL!!!!

THEN!! If I have a lot of items named "Chicken - *****" and search for "CHICKEN" ....... Only a few of them show up anyway...

I am going crazy here!!!!!!

WHY is this software design SO BAD!!!!!

Post edited by VanessaD on

12 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 643 moderator

Hey @Shootersshed

I ran a few tests in a separate account using the information you provided and found the result when looking for just the word "chicken"

I also created a few items with similar names and used a different Manufacturer SKU code identifier like you had mentioned (ex: chicken - ***) and they all pulled up.

This could be cache related, I recommend clearing cache and cookies and if you're still experiencing it, feel free to call our support team.

Regarding performing a search for just the last portion of the manufacturer sku (123):

The software only searches the start of each ID string, unlike when it searches for an item description, where it looks for any text contained. You could technically perform a search called "chi" and all the chicken Manufacturer SKUs will come up but if you attempt to search "hicken" nothing will appear.

This is the inteded way of searching the software takes on for IDs (like the Sys ID, SKUs, UPC, etc).

Hope this help shed some light on why it happens, although I understand that it can be frustrating. You could always post a string referencing this one in the feedback section of the community if you'd like.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• alamodealamode Member Posts: 5

I also had some long standing issues with search not giving all the results. (Had multiple help tickets open for an ENTIRE year before got a reasonable answer). I don't use serialized inventory but maybe this helps you too: There is something particular/weird about the way LS searches the fields (like the order of field searching) and when it finds even one full match it stops checking for that term in any other fields. I was using custom SKU to describe products but I had not filled in all the custom SKUs, so when I searched a term that appeared in some custom SKU fields but also appeared in many more of the product names it would only return the matches from the custom SKU fields. If I emptied all my custom SKUs and searched the term again I would get ALL the results from product name field. I talked to many many LS customer service agents and no one understood (or properly investigated the problem) until I got through to an "escalation agent" that I got a solution.

Elizabeth H.

3 months ago

Hi Rebecca,

My name is Elizabeth, and I am the escalation agent assigned to your ticket. I took a look at the issue you've been encountering with searching for items using the keyword 34F, and I see the problem--it has to do with the search logic Retail uses when looking for items.

In a nutshell, first it scans item ID fields (SKUs, UPCs, etc.) for any exact matches. If it finds an exact match in an ID field, it stops with that item. If none are found or if it finds only partial matches, it will continue on and search description fields and other information for that search term.

In this case, there is an item with the Custom SKU set as 34F, so the search is terminating at that point: System ID 210000019812, item description NAT730023 Feathers Contour Plunge Bra Romantic Floral 34F.

You can correct this by going to Inventory > Item Search, and searching for the item using the system ID or 34F. If you open the item and remove 34F from the Custom SKU (or change it to something more unique) and then save, you will be able to search for34F and see all items with that word in their description.

I hope that makes sense! I've attached a screenshot of the field I'm referring to.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Take care, and have a great weekend!

Elizabeth H.

Lightspeed Retail Support - Escalations

866-932-1801

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 11.52.48 AM.png

60 KB Download

Rebecca UlrichDodson

3 months ago

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for actually looking into this issue. I'm not sure that is the full answer. There are other items with 34F in the custom sku box that do not pop up. (see examples attached).

Also when I removed the 34F from the custom sku of that particular item and searched again I get absolutely no results.

I also have the same issue with 34C

LS_screenshot_searchresults_34F_wac.png

3 MB Download

LS_screenshot_searchresults_34F_nat.png

3 MB Download

LS_screenshot_searchresults_34F_blank.png

2 MB Download

LS_screenshot_searchresults_34C_blank.png

2 MB Download

Elizabeth H.

3 months ago

Hi Rebecca,

When I search for 34F now, I'm getting 675 results, so it's possible the system hadn't caught up on the change yet. Typically this would be something you might see with an iPad--they cache some information and update periodically, but there are some changes that don't refresh as instantly as on a computer. Is that something you might be able to check?

The big issue with this particular SKU wasn't that 34C was present, but that it was the ONLY thing present--making it an exact match to the search term. The other examples in your screenshots have 34F as part of a longer unique SKU, which is fine and how it should be.

I took a look at 34C, and it looks like the same issue: if I check the Archived checkbox when searching Inventory > Item Search, I get a single item, and that item has the Custom SKU set to 34C. I cleared that SKU from the item (I've attached a screenshot below for your records) and can search for 34C now, seeing a total of 522 results--though again, on an iPad, it might take a bit for the items to update.

I hope that all makes sense! Can you let me know if you are still running into any issues, or maybe tell me a bit more?

Elizabeth H.

Lightspeed Retail Support - Escalations

866-932-1801

Learn about Inventory Counts and be sure to export Asset reports monthly!

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.53.19 PM.png

50 KB Download

Rebecca UlrichDodson

3 months ago

Okay, interesting. Glad there is a way to work around this. So the solution is to never put just the size in the custom sku field; the custom sku field can contain the size as long as it is in a larger context?

Elizabeth H.

3 months ago

Right--if a custom sku contains *only* the size, it will be an exact match when searching and stop the search with that item, but size as part of a complete and unique SKU should be fine.

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 103 

I am used to Onsite search. Where I could enter in a string of characters and it would return ANYTHING that matched those characters whether it was CUSTOMER NAME, PRODUCT, SALE OR SRO and give me a list to choose from!!!!

Why on earth do I need to modify how I enter text, to make sure that the lazy search programming can find it!!!!! How about LS hire better software designers to fix the crappy search!!!!

• HamptonHampton Member Posts: 52

I agree. I spend so much time creating matrix relationships in LSR.

Product name

Colour

Size

Attribute 3 (Season)

... I do not understand why this information cannot have independent search.

I need an explanation why?

Today I wanted to find "30-30Win"

So I typed "30-30"

And got this.......

So I typed "30-30w" and got this....

This system is beyond ridiculous!!!!

• JewelOJewelO Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I agree that the search function in Lightspeed Retail is broken and is not how a search should be performed. As mentioned above this is beyond ridiculous.

For customers it does not find names with an apostrophe, it does not find company names that match a search unless you add more criteria to the name search, it only searches the first part of the name and not any of the other words (if there are more than one name in the box). We have had to add the Company name of all of our wholesale customers to the First Name box to allow our staff to actually find them when searching and even then it still does not find them and the search criteria has to be added to.

Coming from Onsite this search function in Retail is just so bad in comparison and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

The fact we need to add the Company name to the actual name box is doing my head in.

THIS SOFTWARE IS STUPID!!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE ALL OF THESE ISSUES ASAP!!!!

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 643 moderator

Hey @Shootersshed

I've moved this thread to the Feedback section.

We understand your frustration and have noted them all down.

Enjoy your weekend!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• Al_CycleworldAl_Cycleworld Member Posts: 16

Hi @VanessaD ,

I'd basically given up on Lightspeed ever actually fixing anything, though I came back here with an issue that is so incredibly glaringly obvious that there's no way you could deny it needs to be fixed.

Searching Customer phone numbers is broken.

If there are actually any developers any more, it seems like there's far more effort put in to writing Blog posts than actually improving the program, while Lightspeed continues upon it's merry march of acquisitions of more crap like MerchantOS in some blind hope of reviving the success it had with it's original product.. What ever happened to the coders that made that..?

I also came back looking to check on the status of ideas I'd posted on ideas.lightspeed.com, though I see the site has now been removed. Not surprising really given it showed your company's complete ineptitude to actually fix any issues with obvious improvements that had received hundreds of votes sitting there for over 5 years ignored.

I will still make a post about the above issue in the extremely unlikely hope that your developers might actually get off their arses and make some meaningful improvements, or have they also given up?

I'll wait to see if you'll give me the same old meaningless response you support staff always give. "If your problem continues please contact support.."

Seriously? Fix the god damned fucking issues already. Don't like that? Then do something about it so we don't have to keep complaining..................

.. The alien does not concern itself with the opinion of humans ..

Hi @VanessaD ,

I'd basically given up on Lightspeed ever actually fixing anything, though I came back here with an issue that is so incredibly glaringly obvious that there's no way you could deny it needs to be fixed.

If there are actually any developers any more, it seems like there's far more effort put in to writing Blog posts than actually improving the program, while Lightspeed continues upon it's merry march of acquisitions of more crap like MerchantOS in some blind hope of reviving the success it had with it's original product.. What ever happened to the coders that made that..?

I also came back looking to check on the status of ideas I'd posted on ideas.lightspeed.com, though I see the site has now been removed. Not surprising really given it showed your company's complete ineptitude to actually fix any issues with obvious improvements that had received hundreds of votes sitting there for over 5 years ignored.

I will still make a post about the above issue in the extremely unlikely hope that your developers might actually get off their arses and make some meaningful improvements, or have they also given up?

I'll wait to see if you'll give me the same old meaningless response you support staff always give. "If your problem continues please contact support.."

Hi @VanessaD ,

I'll wait to see if you'll give me the same old meaningless response you support staff always give. "If your problem continues please contact support..."

Seriously? Fix the god damned fucking issues already...

You can ban me. Block me for swearing or whatever, though you need to know that it's your shitty program and never fixing anything that has driven me to this point.

Hi @VanessaD ,

Seriously? Fix the god damned fucking issues already. Don't like that? Then do something about it so we don't have to keep complaining..................