Gauging Interest for New Reporting Platform

mattangermattanger Member Posts: 56 ✭

Hello to anyone interested in better/more reports for Lightspeed Retail! I've noticed a number of posts inquiring about new reports and/or inadequate reports. I'm considering turning a data export application I have into a service that allows people to really dig into their data, and I'm trying to gauge some interest.

The platform would offer two primary features,

1. A service that exports all your Lightspeed data to a SQL database of your choice, and keeps new records/updated records in sync.
  2. A service that does the same as #1, but it would be a hosted/managed database that you wouldn't have to worry about and it would offer out of the box reports and web based SQL interface for creating your own reports.

In the case of #1, the user would be responsible for a setting up a database on their own server or cloud platform and providing connection details, and the only thing my service would do is keep the database updated. Which would allow one to connect their own reporting software, something like Tableau. I.e. More work on the user's end, but cheaper.

For #2, my service would manage the database, offer out of the box reports, allow for custom reports to be built and saved, and have new reports added as they are requested. Basic features like scheduled report emails, different report formats, on demand reports, etc would also be included.

There's also a few other minor feature "add-ons" I have in mind, the first an foremost being a web-hook system with custom triggers. That one seems to be a pretty big pain point.

Essentially, this could be lightweight analytics and integration platform that offers a lot of flexibility.

So! If anyone is interested, please comment with any questions, ideas, requests or whatever! I've already started on the project, but I'd like to know if there are enough people interested in it to make it worth my time.

3 comments

• MrDarcyMrDarcy Member Posts: 16

Sorry Matt, it is seriously insulting that Lightspeed Retail has served up in reporting features.

We don’t need another app or additional steps. The system is way too clumsy and confusing already.

You are forever scrolling up and down or going backwards and forwards.

we just won’t what OnSite could deliver in a consise easy to read manner.

• mattangermattanger Member Posts: 56 ✭

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't work for Lightspeed, and I can do nothing to directly address issues, perceived or otherwise, with their software. It's just a feeler to see if anyone happened to be interested in a service that could provide better reporting than what's offered out of the box with Retail.

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 596 moderator

Hopefully you're able to make what you sought out to do!

Reports within Lightspeed Retail are static and cannot be changed, however, there is Lightspeed Analytics that can also be used to create reports using the raw sales data within retail.

For more information on how Lightspeed Analytics works, you can consult the following articles:

About LS Analytics

Accessing LS Analytics

Configuring LS Analytics

Enjoy your weekend!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)