Lightspeed Hub Suggestion: Seamless Startup

captainjohncaptainjohn Member Posts: 4
edited June 16 in Feedback

Long time Lightspeed Retail user here. We are just getting started on Lightspeed Hub, as Zebra Browser Print was giving us some real problems this month, after years of working well... and we noticed that you added label printing to Lightspeed Hub. Printing receipts and labels is smooth, so thanks for that! I do have some suggestions about the app's startup process though. 

It would be nice if the Mac Lightspeed Hub app could start fully, and in the menubar only. As it is, it starts with a window open, and you're required to click "Skip" in order for it to connect to Lightspeed Retail! If we have a problem and need to restart the computer, it would be SO HELPFUL if Lightspeed Hub would just load quietly in the background, ready for our employees to start Firefox and get going. Also, hiding it from the dock and having in the menubar only would ensure that employees don't quit the app.

With Zebra Browser Print, the app started quietly in the menubar with no further action, and that was key for us. We may run Hub for labels only and stick to the OS print menu for receipts because I don't want to have to field helpdesk calls for employees that can't print because they restarted and didn't interact with the Hub app first!

Post edited by VanessaD on

6 comments

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 39
    edited June 14

Good suggestion. We run Lightspeed in Windows and I resorted to creating a batch file that runs at startup to minimize Hub to the system tray.

When was label printing added to Hub? I see there still aren't any Release Notes available for Hub updates... 🙄 Our label printers have been working fine after disabling Zebra Browser Print months ago so I probably won't bother moving them to Hub anyway.

• captainjohncaptainjohn Member Posts: 4

It appears to have been added 5 days ago. Very glad because Zebra Browser Print stopped working for us 2 weeks ago.

BenV: I did find a release notes section for Hub, it was hidden in their GitHub Repository:

Good luck! -John

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 39
    edited June 14

Interesting. I've asked support about that more than once and they told me there weren't any (public) release notes. Strange that they have a Github repository for that. Thanks!

• captainjohncaptainjohn Member Posts: 4
    edited June 15

Well, it works well enough for barcodes, but Hub has lost connection to Firefox twice during our first day using it, requiring us to quit Firefox, reopen, and interact with the Hub app in order to bring the connection back. So, we have reconfigured hub to work only with barcodes (not receipts), as it is not reliable enough for us to use with receipts yet. I’ll keep my eye on the release notes and give it a try at a later date. It is definitely something that is needed – the quick integration with printing is excellent. But startup needs to be more seamless and the connection needs to be rock solid.

Post edited by captainjohn on
  • RevcycleRevcycle Member Posts: 22
    edited September 27

@VanessaD

As per @BenV while making your own batch file to close/minimise to system tray is great! This should be a setting from intsall, can we get this added please.

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @Revcycle

The feature request is already in our feedback forum, which means it's in the right place!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)