End of Day report no longer reflects reality

ALloydALloyd Member Posts: 20

For the past three days, my EOD report has stopped reflecting reality. By this, I mean that the numbers on the EOD report vary by one cent for the MAJORITY of my categories of products now! The total for Checks that have been received is off by one cent. The total for Cash is off by one cent, etc. etc.

We have been using Lightspeed for over two years and have NEVER seen this problem before in the tens of thousands of transactions we have done since moving to Lightspeed in 2019. What changed? Nothing from my side changed to make this happen.

Essentially the EOD report is now useless unless it is okay to be 10 - 30 cents OFF from reality. I don't know what other peoples' standards are with respect to accounting . . . and I've never taken an accounting class . . .but this variance is unacceptable for THIS guy!

I engaged in a helpdesk chat yesterday and the person I spoke with blamed this on the way "tax rounding" occurs . . . but that has nothing to do with why my check total would be off . . . or why a promo category used for customer loyalty would be off. SOMETHING at Lightspeed changed (at least for my account) this past week and it has made it so that I actually have to export my Categories report to a spreadsheet in order to get accurate numbers now! To get gift card totals, sales tax collected, discounts, etc. I now must look at disparate reports and try to put it all together to do my EOD reconciliation. As far as I am concerned, the End of Day report link can be taken off of the site, as it does nothing for me now. The whole idea of an EOD report is to have all those numbers in one place . . . but they need to be ACCRUATE! My request to have this escalated was denied yesterday and I was basically told: 'That's just the way it is.' It's infuriating!

Has anyone else witnessed this in the past few days? I will try again on Monday to see if it can be resolved by calling the LS help line. I am collecting the "evidence" that this is a problem by printing my exported Categories report and showing the comparison to the EOD report. The errors are glaring, and I plan to attach those on Monday when I try to get a resolution again.

25 comments

• Natalie_G888Natalie_G888 Member Posts: 36 ✭

Same this is happening for us. Payments are off by one cent. We do not use Lightspeed as our payment processor so our Debit, Visa and Mastercard are all off by a penny, including cash payments.

Why would this now be "just the way it is" when you have been using Lightspeed for over two years.

I recently migrated from OnSite to Retail a few months ago and it is was only this week that we noticed things were off.

@VanessaD - surely there must be something going and not "just the way it is." Can you please look into this?

• ALloydALloyd Member Posts: 20

Confirmed this happened again last night. Our CHECK total was off by one cent. (from actual totals in the transactions report versus the EOD report) That is ridiculous. I am going to collect two more days of 'evidence' and open another ticket on Tuesday morning regarding this. If anyone at Lightspeed reads this . . . HELP! SOMETHING has changed at Lightspeed in the last week, and for help desk personnel to brush it off is crazy.

• TRIALLAWYERTRIALLAWYER Member Posts: 2

Question: Who do use as your credit card processor?

We use Worldpay / Vantiv . . . but that would have nothing do do with why our CHECK total is off . . . or our loyalty discounts would be off . . . or our cash being off.

• LizH0127LizH0127 Member Posts: 1

This just started with us too. But I just read on a thread from this past March that the EOD report "is an outdated report that we are working on removing since we had replaced it with the Analytics option, which includes things that are not programmed to be captured by the EOD report" ...so apparently they are still working on it? Idk what Analytics option they are referring to though. I just need a consistent report that i can use to pay my sales taxes correctly!

• lnauglelnaugle Member Posts: 1

I have noticed the same for the last week in all my payment categories. This all started in the last 7 to 10 days.

• VanessaDVanessaD Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 724 moderator
    edited June 25

The End of Day report is quite old and does not take into consideration certain actions taken in retail, like voids.

We have noticed recently that some roll-up reports are off by 0.01$ and are investigating it already.

Ideally, to get the most accurate possible reporting for end of day, we suggest using the Payments Received Report, the Totals Report and the Lines report.

Each report will have a total section at the very bottom so you don't have to tally up everything manually.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

Vanessa,

So essentially your telling your clients that the EOD report is suddenly broken (which is demonstrably true and validated by several people here and on other threads I have read today) and your solution is for us to pull three separate reports to piece together the numbers to do end of day reconciliation? That's your solution?

Can you just fix the EOD report so that it is accurate again for us? After all, it is designed to have all the numbers necessary IN ONE PLACE to complete end of day activities!

If it is essentially unusable, and there is no will by LS to fix it, can you remove the link from the Reports section? Either it works or it doesn't and if it doesn't, just remove the link. I feel certain that the right person on your team could make this problem go away in less than a day . . . if not minutes. Something changed . . . please change it back, or create a new EOD report that works. All tabulations for all numbers in your program should coincide EXACTLY with the same tabulations across ALL reports, and it doesn't matter if it is $.01 or $1M . . . wrong is wrong!

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 43

@VanessaD

"Ideally, to get the most accurate possible reporting for end of day, we suggest using the Payments Received Report, the Totals Report and the Lines report."

Having to compile data from multiple reports in order to get an accurate summary of a day's transactions is hardly ideal.

"The End of Day report is quite old and does not take into consideration certain actions taken in retail, like voids."

It sounds like the EoD report has been known to be deficient for quite some time. Why has nothing been done about it?

• LNCRecumbentLNCRecumbent Member Posts: 2

Hi all - I appreciate seeing this string of posts as I've experience the same thing. We've been using Lightspeed Retail and EOD report to reconcile Quickbooks at the end of each day since 2014 and it wasn't until 06/10/21 that we started seeing this issue - practically every end of day has been off by $0.01 to $0.04 since then. I called Lightspeed to document the issue and inquire how to fix last week and was also told it had something to do with tax rounding. I find this difficult to believe as we've never experience this issue before. Reviewing the end of day reports, I am seeing a $0.01 discrepancy between the sale price of the item on the receipt and the sale price of the item reported on the end of day report (i.e. an item sold for $12.99 but EOD showed we sold it for $13.00) - this is prior to any tax calculation. There is never an issue with the tax amount. The discrepancies aren't related to any one sales category, i.e. items, service/ labor, nor voided sales/ returns. I hope they find the issue soon as these small change differences have been a big accounting pain!

@Lightspeed Do you have any updates???

• HamptonHampton Member Posts: 61 ✭

Thanks for sharing ... I have had my administration team say the same thing.

• VanessaDVanessaD Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 724 moderator

As mentioned in the above post, we are investigating.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

edited June 28

Hey @LNCRecumbent

As it is, you're already scheduled to be updated when this is resolved since you have an open ticket with support that is currently on hold regarding this exact investigation.

We will reach out, as promised, once it's been resolved through the ticket that was created for you.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• cdoremuscdoremus Member Posts: 13

Just curious how the investigation is going with the rounding issue? We are closing in on a month now of incorrect reporting.

I was told via e-mail that they would let me know when this is fixed. To date, I have not received any communication regarding this problem. I'm still exporting the category report to Excel each night to get accurate totals. Lots of things are still one cent off every day. The up-side is that the seemingly continuous problems with credit card payments going off-line has been an effective (if not pleasant) distraction!

• boviobovio Member Posts: 11

Would love an update on this as well.

• kellyfkellyf Member Posts: 10

Same; would love to know if this is going to be fixed or scrapped.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 1

We have used LightSpeed for at least 4 years and the EOD reports it seems like forever. It has never failed me. Then all of a sudden about a month an half ago we are out 1 to 4 cents on most days. How is that even possible. What changed . Why can't the EOD Report function the way it did before. (Accurate)

I think releasing a software updates that moves things in the wrong direction doesn't give a lot of confidence moving forward. Is there a fix coming?

Attn. Dax Dasilva:

I love your software and couldn't imagine using anything else as the chosen tool to run my store. BUT, it has been FIVE WEEKS that one of your most critical (and undoubtedly most used) reports has been admittedly (by your support staff) broken! The last official word was that it was being "investigated", and that was one month ago.

Numerous people here have complained about it -- seemingly to no avail.

Does anyone at Lightspeed care? I would think that this impacts tens of thousands of users, right? Just because there aren't tens of thousands of posts here about it and your help desk isn't inundated with complaints, doesn't mean that it isn't broken or important! Something changed about six weeks ago and the Lightspeed Retail suddenly can't do the basic math accurately to be a reliable tool for end-of-day accounting.

Could you please intervene and work with whomever is responsible for such things in your organization? Those that use your software (and want to continue to do so) would surely appreciate it. At the very least, please post what is being done to replace this broken report and when it is scheduled to be released. To do anything less - at this late date - will demonstrate not only a lack of caring about customer service, but go a long way toward further eroding customer confidence.

Most Sincerely,

Alan Lloyd

• DCHSCampusStoreDCHSCampusStore Member Posts: 3

Oy! I'm not alone! This rounding error is causing me ENDLESS headaches with our accounting office. I've used LS POS since 2016 and have depended on EOD reports to be accurate and reliable for filling out the Deposit Transmittal required by our accounting office.

This can't be a TAX error only - I run a school bookstore in the US and since we are associated with the school, we do not charge sales tax on any of our items sold.

I am constantly trying to convince my boss that LS is a good system and we don't need to go to Shopify, but if this keeps happening, I'm afraid my hand will be forced.

Hello?? Someone?? Anyone?? Does anyone care that we are having these issues with LS and can't in good conscience recommend this system until it goes back to accurate reporting? Or is LS like the rest of the world and only cares about it's largest, most prestigious customers?

Someone help the little shop owner, please!

Hi there, we understand and hear your frustrations.

The current investigation is under peer review and is moving forward as high-priority and is still being worked on as of today. We understand wanting to get this fixed as quickly as possible and I've forwarded your feedback to the necessary teams.

For clarification, it is not focusing on a tax error, but rather a rounding up of received payment types to an even number, often by 1 cent, which is causing the discrepencies.

Alternatively, you can always use the Payments Received report to get the accurate numbers, which are added up at the bottom of the report.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• beewellbeewell Member Posts: 4

I guess this is a problem on all of our EOD reports. We have had the same issue. The thing is it's not even consistent on where it takes or puts the random .01!

This is a message to let merchants know that the ongoing investigation of the rounding up 1 penny to an even number per payment in the End of Day (roll up reports) has been resolved. The fix was launched Sept 14th with the latest release of Retail; 2021.54

If you still experience this issue, please contact our support team with your examples so we can thoroughly log them.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

Thank you for doing the work to get this resolved. It is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Alan Lloyd

• LNCRecumbentLNCRecumbent Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the update Vanessa. I appreciate the work done by Lightspeed to resolve this issue.