How stable is Lightspeed Payments cc processing?

theuboattheuboat Member Posts: 5

I am considering a change from our current credit card processor (Cayan/TSYS) to Lightspeed Payments. I don't want to trade one unstable platform for another. Is Lightspeed Payments better or worse than your previous credit card processor?

I would greatly appreciate any candid/constructive feedback to help with our decision.

Thanks.

How stable is Lightspeed Payments cc processing? 5 votes

Lightspeed Payments' Customer Experience is Better
0% 0 votes
Lightspeed Payments' Customer Experience is Worse
40% 2 votes
Lightspeed Payments' Customer Experience is about the same
0% 0 votes
Other issues
60% 3 votes

7 comments

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 44

What kind of instability have you seen from Cayan/TSYS? We've found them to be quite stable in the 10 months that we've been using them.

I don't have any experience with Lightspeed Payments but I know one downside with them is they deduct their fees daily instead of monthly. They've also had a few outages recently. See here: https://status.lightspeedhq.com/history

• CampusStoreCampusStore Member Posts: 3

We have Lightspeed payments and experience disconnect everytime they update. It's extremely frustrating turning customers away when this happens as we cannot process they're cc payments while this is down. We are experiencing one now which, we have been down for 5 /1/2 hours now. Contacted the customer service and apparently they still do not have a fix for it. Seems very unstable to me.

• RainflurryRainflurry Member Posts: 24

We have been using LS Payments for a year now and used WorldPay (or is it Vantiv?) for the previous 8 years. LS Payments has gone down about 3 times on us in the past year. I can't say it's been any worse than WorldPay, but probably not better. As @BenV mentioned, a downside is that they withdraw their merchant fees daily. They also pull those fees (and the subsequent day's refunds up until a certain time of day) prior to making the payout so, from an accounting perspective, it's a bit more complicated. However, we find the lower fees offset that issue. We have a second store that uses QuickBooks Point of Sale and Intuit's merchant service. They deposit the total cc sales for the day into your bank account. Then, the same day, they pull out the fees so it's more transparent and easier to reconcile than LS Payments. But, the fees are higher. I'm not sure which I prefer.

• POS_EvoPOS_Evo Member Posts: 3

New system, Verifone P400 from LS disconnects from the iOS app after every single sale, or if you try to cancel CC payment method (like if the customer changes their mind); red X on terminal is not responsive to cancel CC transaction also.

Only fix at the moment (after speaking with support and escalating the ticket with no response for 3 days as of now), is to kill the LS app on iOS and reopen. CC terminal will show “connected” after that.

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

The main differences between Ligthspeed Payments and Tsys/Cayan is the method of connection.

Where Lightspeed Payments uses an activation code to link the terminal to the Lightspeed gateway interface, Tsys/Cayan uses an IP address and their most stable/reliable device uses an ethernet-only connection to the router to run sales.

One thing that could impact your experience with Cayan is if you have an unstable internet connection, as a static IP address in the terminal is not supported by frontline and if your internet goes out or blips frequently, the terminals IP address will update and need to be updated within retail by going to settings -> Payment processing to re-establish the link. (see here for all the steps)

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 44

Hi @VanessaD I'm not sure what you mean by "a static IP address in the terminal is not supported by frontline". Your Help Center info on setting up the TSYS/Cayan Genius Countertop terminal says "NOTE: To make sure your terminal's network IP address does not change, we recommend that you assign a static IP address to it in your router settings. For assistance and information, contact your internet service provider". https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/228842587-Setting-up-payment-processing-with-Cayan-s-Verifone-MX-915-925-terminal

FWIW we've had static addresses set within the terminals themselves (not our router) for a year with no issues.

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 758 moderator

Hey @BenV

When something is not supported, it does not mean that there will be an impact on the functionality (thus why you have not had issues in the last while), rather, it means that some of the setup required cannot be walked through by one of our agents.

By example, reserving an IP address with your Internet Service Provider (ISP); This requires specific steps to be taken with the ISP, which varies by the provider. Because this varies, frontline support does not have the steps required to set it up and it is then considered as 'not supported'.

TL;DR:

If you contact frontline technical support either via chat or by phone, we will advise you tocontact Cayan to set the terminal's IP address to static and your ISP to reserve the IP, but this does not mean that it will not work, it simply means that due to the varying steps that are needed, merchants are required to perform the setup with the respective companies.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)