Why is taking a deposit so confusing?

aghunsakeraghunsaker Member Posts: 6

This is mostly to vent, as my issue was already resolved with Customer Service.... I swear every time I try to take a credit card payment I get lost and do not do it correctly. I don't know if it is because the work flow is not intuitive AT ALL or that I just can't seem to learn the process, but it's maddening. Today I tried to take a deposit on a special order and I could not link the payment to the sale. Then I tried to "Finish Sale" it said there were not sufficient payments... There are too many buttons on the screen and if you don't do it in the correct order (with no prompts from the system as to what is required next).

Anyway. I feel better now.

3 comments

• WaxTraxWaxTrax Member Posts: 6

Agreed. Only certain members of our staff are able to memorize this process, which comes up only every couple of days for them. It means they tend to avoid doing Special Orders and we lose money that way. I think the fact that the whole thing is in the sales part is the confusing thing. Maybe Special Orders could be its own thing, like a completely different form so that it could then be more intuitive?

• aghunsakeraghunsaker Member Posts: 6

Yes! Special orders are about 90% of our business, and this system is just fundamentally not set up for that. Even though it is the most common transaction, I end up spending time relearning the process every time I need to process orders. It's been so frustrating. Glad it is not just me who struggles!!

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 704 moderator

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I'm glad you were able to get some help with Customer service.

This particular bit of knowledge helped me wrap my head around the deposits a little more easily when I first started with Lightspeed: Deposits will always be tied to the customer profile and not the special order/layaway.

When you start a sale, know that your layaway/SPO will be tied to the customer profile and so will the deposits, however they will not touch oneanother until the layway/SPO becomes the sale when the items/deposit are exchanged into a profit.

Hope this clarifies things! I can also include a breakdown of how to take a deposit with images if anyone needs it!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)