Unique Barcodes for Each Item of the Same Product

I work at a nonprofit resale store, and we have to have a way track each individual item back to the person who made the donation (as a way to maintain nonprofit status).

Say, 3 different people donate a 24" door each. Is there a way to only have a single entry for 24" doors in the inventory list for the sake of simplicity, but assign unique barcodes to each of those doors so we know which door came from which donor? Maybe UPC code, or a custom field? I am new to Lightspeed, but I am hoping this will make my job doing receiving/inventory work easier.

Any help is appreciated.
Matt
Cleveland County Habitat for Humanity reStore

2 comments

• JLC1990JLC1990 Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 29 moderator
    Hey @CCHabitatRestore

For that I would recommend using the Serialized option in the items. It should be a check mark at the top of the screen beside the item type and description. This would allow you to add a unique code to each item at the time of sale to link it to a specific customer. Lightspeed wouldn't be able to generate the codes however, you would need to have one on the item to be able to enter it and have that specific product tied to the customer profile. 

I hope this helps, please do reply if you have more questions. Alternatively, you can contact Retail support at 866-932-1801 ("Support is Option 2" then "Retail is option 1")This would be a quicker way to get answers to any questions you may have. 
    Cheers!,

Jordan L-C
    Lightspeed Retail Support
    Lightspeed HQ
  • jameybikesjameybikes Member Posts: 3
    I think I have a way to do this. I have a "donation" item that I use to run a sale for a donor to save their contact info and send them an email with our tax ID number. I describe the item in the notes field to keep track of it.

If I want to track that donation, I print off a barcode sticker using "ctrl+P" on the details screen of that particular "line" from the reports screen. This way, I can track that transaction, and thereby the donor, and you can print a second barcode for the actual item.

This is likely the safest way to protect your donor's ID and keep track of where stuff came from.