ItemShelfLocations schema

mikesitmikesit Member Posts: 31
Hey guys,

We need to attach a bin location for all items.  We are assuming that the ItemShelfLocations object is used for this purpose but the schema for that object is not found in the API docs.

It's listed as a relation object for an item object but there is no description of it.  Also, we could not find a way to create these items in the UI back-end in order to just view the schema.

- rock

6 comments

• mikesitmikesit Member Posts: 31
    Bump
  • Michael CareyMichael Carey Administrator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 60 moderator
    edited August 2018
    Hi @mikesit,

ItemShelfLocations is a legacy feature that is not enabled by default. To enable this setting on your account go to Settings > General > General Options and uncheck 'Tagging Only'. Once complete you will see a dropdown list on each Item page where you can set the Shelf Location. If set, it will be returned on the Item object via the API.
    "ItemShelfLocations": {
      "ItemShelfLocation": {
        "itemShelfLocationID": "1",
        "itemID": "77",
         "shelfLocationID": "1"
      }
    }

Thanks,
    Michael Carey

Product Manager
    Lightspeed HQ
    Thanks Mike,

So, it being a legacy item; would recommend using it or are we better off in the long using an Item Custom Field to track BIN Location?

- rock

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 709 
    If you are using Custom Fields, I've found it a bit challenging to get at outside of the API. If you are exclusively relying on the API for working with them it's okay though. As long as this legacy ItemShelfLocation object isn't going to deprecated and retired you might be better off using that.
  • Michael CareyMichael Carey Administrator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 60 moderator
    @mikesit

I found that this setting must be enabled by our Support team. Given that this is a legacy feature that is not accessible to end users,  I would recommend using CustomFields.

Thanks, 
    Michael Carey

Product Manager
    Lightspeed HQ
    Thanks guys!