How to install GTM (Google Tag Manager)?

How to install GTM (Google Tag Manager) on your lightspeed pos?

10 comments

• JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 257 moderator
    Hi Rihards

There are a few steps involved in installing GTM, there is no build-in setting at this time. To install GTM you will need to enable the Theme Editor, but before doing so make sure you are aware of the  Consequences of activating the theme editor

1. The first step is to get the code from https://tagmanager.google.com and navigate to "Install Google Tag manager"

2. Here you will see two sections of code that will need to be copied and pasted into your Lightspeed eCom theme.

3. Copy the first section
    4. Go to your eCom shop and navigate to Design -> Theme Editor -> head.rain (in the layout section)
    5. Paste the code somewhere high in the <head>

6. Now head back to Google Tag manager and copy the bottom script
    7. Once copied scroll down to the <body> section of the custom.rain file
    8. Paste the second code right after the <body>

9. Repeat these steps to copy the same code in the fixed.rain file, in approximately the same places.

That's it, you should have Google Tag Manager working now!

Hope this helps :)

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • Rihards KrasovskisRihards Krasovskis Member Posts: 2
    Yes That was very helpful. Thank you.

Now I am struggling with additional problem - 
    How can I put GTM in /checkout/  and /service/ pages
    Great, did you also add the code to the fixed.rain template file?
    eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • MargaMarga Member Posts: 7

Hi Joey,

I was wondering if Lightspeed is going to add in the near future as one of their e-commerce features Google Tag Manager. Currently, the process you propose has consequences. Ideally, as a user will be great to have a more straight forward process without the risk of loosing the updates to the templates. Additionally, will help with the organization and the administration of multiple pixels, code, etc that the industry is forcing us to all business owners to implement if we want to be competitive in the market. I am sure that this feature will benefit the LS community.

Other e-commerce platforms, have the integration already .

thanks

Margarita

Hi @Marga

The above workflow of enabling the theme editor will be obsolete very soon. There won't be a specific Tag Manager field but we are adding the option to add custom code to the <head> of the shop.

This will allow you to copy/paste the code provided by a third party (GTM) and just past it in the back office.

Although we do not provide any timelines on exact implementation, this feature is very far in development and will be released soon. Keep an eye on the change log in your back office!

Have a great weekend :)

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ

Thank you @Joey ! I will keep an eye on the messages from the back office...

Best,

• BenjaminHornoyBenjaminHornoy Member Posts: 2

@Joey How does it work to install GTM now? The new feature allows one to add the first code in the head section, but what about the bit of code that has to go in the body section of the pages?

Thanks for your help

@Marga we just launched a feature to add Javascript code to the head, this can be found under Settings -> Web Extras -> Head Code.

@BenjaminHornoy the body code is added under Settings -> Web Extras -> Custom JS. This will go in the end of the <body> so you would need to verify that this is not causing issues.

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • VintageWineGuyVintageWineGuy Member Posts: 105 ✭

Thanks for adding this feature, it will be helpful with managing all our ads, etc.

@Joey Excellent News!!! I will give a try..... Thanks for the update... much appreciated!