How to update payment method via API?

steven_changsteven_chang Member Posts: 4
edited September 2018 in Development
Hi all,
On website, user can change the payment method of an unpaid order.
Can I update payment method of an order via API?

Please let me know if I can do that. Thanks.

5 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 573 moderator
    @steven_chang to clarify your question, is this referring to an incomplete sale in the Lightspeed Retail web application or to an upaid order in Lightspeed eCommerce?

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• steven_changsteven_chang Member Posts: 4
    Hi @Adrian Samuel
    Thank you for your response.
    I am talking about Lightspeed eCommerce and we are using document in this page.

Now, we want to update payment method of an order via API because our program should work like the website.
    Is there a way to do that?

• JaivyDaamJaivyDaam Lightspeed Staff Posts: 29 Lightspeed
    Hi @steven_chang,

There is, however, when an order has an invoice, I'm afraid we locked that order for change as such changes are fraude sensitive.

If an order doesn't have an Invoice, please follow the directions on this page: https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/endpoints/checkout/#put-update-the-payment-method
    or
    https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/endpoints/checkout/#put-be-a-payment-method

I hope this answers your question.
  • steven_changsteven_chang Member Posts: 4
    Thank @JaivyDaam for your answer.
    As I see, API only supports to update the payment method of a checkout, not an order.
    In my case, after a checkout was converted to an order, I could update the payment method of checkout. However, the payment method of order didn't change.
    One workaround is to clone the checkout and convert it to a new order.
    But, I will make lots of redundant orders.

So, I am still looking for a way to update the payment method of an order.
  • JaivyDaamJaivyDaam Lightspeed Staff Posts: 29 Lightspeed
    Hi @steven_chang
    I apologize as I wasn't checking which endpoint I sent.
    We have made some update in our Backoffice which allowed merchants to change an order while there was no invoice generated for it yet. However, this option hasn't become available for the API yet. I will create a ticket for you and create a feature request for it. I'm afraid I don't have any other workaround other than change the payment method via the backend.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.