Partially Received PO's - should post a bill to Quickbooks

VeniceTwistVeniceTwist Member Posts: 1

We are invoiced by our vendors on what we receive not on what we order.

A PO is very commonly received in 3 - 4 shipments either due to back order / planned or error. I need to pay for each one of these shipments, but still need the PO active.

A bill should be sent to QuickBooks for all product moved to inventory for the PO not when the PO is finished.

21 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 724 moderator

Hey @VeniceTwist ,

Thanks for the suggestion!

We'll forward it to our accounting development team and see if they can add it to the roadmap of things to modify with the transfer software.

Thanks for your investment in making Lightspeed the best it can be!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• TheUltimateDeckShopTheUltimateDeckShop Member Posts: 29

Is there an update to this?

This missing feature has cost us MANY headaches, phone calls, and money with our bookkeeper (on contract) trying to manually do all of this with the vendors. Major, major issue.

• VanessaDVanessaD Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 724 moderator

Hey @TheUltimateDeckShop ,

This is still being looked into as a feature enhancement.

Thank you for your feedback!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

• myfilosophymyfilosophy Member Posts: 2

This most definitely needs to be fixed. I signed up with lightspeed because shopify did this and it is a logistical nightmare. Now I am re-evaluating leaving shopify once my 14 day trial is done.

• lancemuzlancemuz Member Posts: 30

We have the same issue and our solution is to move unreceived items to a new purchase order. We append the new purchase order number with an incremental number ie, 1000, 1000-1, 1000-2, etc. This way, each purchase order only gets sent to our Quickbooks Online account (we use the shogo.io integration) when it's completed in Lightspeed and matches the invoice. We actually wait to mark POs as finished until we have matched them to the invoice. Ultimately POs end up matching shipments which should match invoices.

Hey @lancemuz & @myfilosophy ,

I totally understand the frustration. As an alternative, you could always perform a PO split when these happen.

To perform a PO split, you can do the following:

Receive the items into retail based on what was sent to you by your vendor, as usual.

When you're done, you'll click the Duplicate button (situated on the top-right of the page) This will duplicate the PO reference # (which we will use later to associate the information in Quickbooks) and all the items associated to the existing PO get added as well.

Locate the original PO number and mark the PO as Finished now.

In the Duplicated PO, you can either delete the items you've already received and leave the remainder, or leave them all and only receive the remaining items in time. This is up to you depending on how you rather keep track.

Finally, keep doing this as you receive the items in batches until there's no items left to receive.

In these instances you can go into the Lightspeed Accounting portal and set the Use Reference # as the PO number, which will then associate the similar reference numbers you populated and you'll be able to link them afterwards in Quickbooks.

We understand this requires a bit more work when making POs but it will help you keep those reference numbers together while simultaneously allow for partial receiving of stocks.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• melissamelissa Member Posts: 2

We'd also like a solution to the PO backorder nightmare. Creating a new PO may seem to work, but it does not. It not only opens the door for human error with deleting and duplicating, but it is also extremely time consuming and a waste of payroll dollars when it seems a fix on the software side is needed and has been requested by so many Lightspeed users for a very long time. We've got to be able to receive partial shipments and balance those partial shipments with accounting, without having to duplicate efforts every time. Do we have any timeframe for when this fix will come?

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 702 

@melissa agreed. Most systems can handle partially-receiving against a purchase order in one action. The workaround is non-intuitive, prone to error, etc. I think back to the late 1990's and early 2000's when running into systems that expected a one-to-one relationship in PO's and receiving documents. You could only receive all items from a single PO in a single receiving document. You couldn't partially receive from a PO, nor could you have a receiving document reference more than one PO. Crazy now were are in 2020. 😀

Lightspeed OnSite I believe allows for this industry standard business practice. Too bad that Lightspeed Retail doesn't.

Hi @melissa

I totally understand your point of view and the frustration that can come with it. For the time being the alternative is simply while we investigate how to rebuild this function from the ground up, which can take time.

It's like they say, the people who develop software are rarely the ones who use it, so miss-communications as far as feature functionalities can happen. This is why your feedback, as a customer and user, is so valuable.

Thank you for taking the time! I'll note everything in the request.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• gareth_egareth_e Member Posts: 30

I agree, this is a huge issue that is causing a headache for too many retailers. This should be a top priority for being resolved. This is one of many issues around Purchase Orders.

• b_zb_z Member Posts: 4

add me to this list. Receiving partial shipments is the name of the game for me. I also have multiple invoices per order thanks to differing discounts so 1 PO could potentially be broken into 9 seperate PO's by the time Im done. So much wasted time, room for error, and a major headache when you need to examine history for things like warranty dates and vendor returns or god help you.....forecasting purchases.

• TheUltimateDeckShopTheUltimateDeckShop Member Posts: 29

Certainly there must be some news on this front? We continue to spend countless HOURS and DOLLARS managing this complete oversight of such a necessary and obvious feature.

• milermiler Member Posts: 2

This is such a big problem we may need to leave Lightspeed. It is in excusable that they can not give us an update on if and when they will fix this especially in light of all of the supply issues with the pandemic.

• RoscoRosco Member Posts: 6

Ok I have a logical Idea. Can LS create not just a Duplicate button, but a Duplicate Fulfilment button. it creates a PO based on all remaining Items off the PO on the Screen and assigns number (1001-1 or 1001-2) if it happens twice or more. therefore easy to find organize and maybe even color code them. It can be finished and yellow means partially with the -1 below it for remaining items to come in on.

• gareth_egareth_e Member Posts: 30

Same here. Still unbelievable that split shipments for PO's isn't available. Such a costly headache both time and monetary.

• lancemuzlancemuz Member Posts: 30

I have launched a new inventory management system and one of the features is a partial PO creator tool. You can see it including a video of it in action at https://www.getopt.io/feature/partial-purchase-order-creator  Feel free to send me a message if you would like more information or would like to do a trial.

Hey!

We're currently operating a Beta called Market, which will resolve this issue by creating multiple POs depending on if they were sent in multiple shipments or not.

With the Market option, as the vendor ships products out, the POs get triggered and created in retail. If you'd like to know more, consult the Introduction to the Supplier Market Beta help centre article.

Be mindful that as the Beta progresses, that we'll include other vendor types but currently, it is operational for Bike Vendors.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• dromanettidromanetti Member Posts: 4

This is still not fixed, was an actual feature in Lightspeed Onsite (so zero reason why it isn't in Retail) and is resulting in a variety of other issues. The entire marketing of your software is that we can manage inventory receiving. That is absolutely not true. If we can't "invoice" a partially received PO as we did in Onsite, we can not reconcile what our staff "received" and their costs against the vendor invoice and what the vendor thinks they sent us. This means that my team is not catching price changes, or that they received something we didn't actually get since virtually no purchase order is sent in its entirety and the only way to see a total is when you receive the entire PO or the first time where it shows total received vs what was ordered. The entire receiving / PO system in Retail is useless. there is no excuse for this since LS Onsite handled this beautifully. In addition, a ton of comments here and on other threads show that many of us find this to be a huge issue. Not just for book keeping as the original poster commented but also for catching errors when receiving and for catching price changes. What use is a receiving system if you can't total what you recevied?

• Brady_11Brady_11 Member Posts: 3

This problem needs to be fixed! We are now using Omni-channel and our open PO's are posting to our website as still on backorder even though we have partially received some of the items... So our inventory on the retail side is luckily posting correctly but on E-com it isn't updating due to the open PO.

• CarleyTUDSCarleyTUDS Member Posts: 12

Checked out the Supplier Market. This may work for the retailers who's suppliers are in the market, but for those suppliers that are not this does not address the issue. None of our suppliers are "connected" and we just want to be able to pay for the inventory we have received without duplicating and changing PO#s. Changing the PO#s actually screws up our backorder system in QuoteMachine.

Lightspeed, your customers have been asking for over 2 years to address this issue. Have you become so large that you do not listen to us? Fix what is broke, don't build a brand new system that will only work for a select few.

• lynnhlynnh Member Posts: 2

In on-site you could have a purchase order with dozens of invoices attached. So if a vendor sent three or four shipments to fill an order it did not matter. There were shipping charges added to each invoice. You were also able to discount individual line items and not the entire PO. The invoice is what we paid to the vendor. It was not this convoluted work around that retail offers. We enjoyed Lightspeed until we were forced to switch to retail. The system was simply not ready to tackle the issues that on-site handled with ease.

I agree that the solution you offer is fraught with difficulties and has tremendous potential for human error.