Multiple Registers is it really needed?

Does anyone know if you actually need multi registers? I understand the benefits when balancing cash on doffy computers, however I am curious whether or not having 3 registers in a retail store is even needed. We do it to help break up the lines but can't all 3 stations just share one register and then use multiple employee logins to track sales?

Is anyone out there doing it this way, using only one register at several workstations?

Thanks,

7 comments

• VintageWineGuyVintageWineGuy Member Posts: 117 ✭

We use several terminals but have a register for each cash drawer and payment processor. We work off of many terminals doing receiving and data work, but we only take payment at the register. However, we do on occasion log in to one of the registers from a different terminal and run a transaction, then walk the custom to the register to tender payment. This lets us ring transactions on the floor with a mobile device, and when the customer is done we walk them to the front to process payment at the register, but we don't actually use the registers terminal, we just payment from the mobile device and it processes at the payment terminal at the register.

• lancemuzlancemuz Member Posts: 27

I believe that unexpected behavior will result. For example, when you are tendering on one terminal it may pop up for a customer on another terminal if you are sharing the same register ID. For back office tasks I don't believe there is any issue. It's when you are running sales transactions simultaneously that you get into trouble.

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 551 moderator

Hey @Wendell2021 ,

Having a register per cash drawer / payment terminal is heavily recommended by Lightspeed support for a multitude of reasons.

To start, if you're using Lightspeed Payments, each payment terminal needs it's own register to operate on, or else you'll more than likely end up with human errors that make it so that customer A pays for customer's B balance or vice versa (especially if both are in use at the same time).

Another thing that can happen when sharing payment terminals with 1 register is the fact that every time you select a terminal from the sales screen, it'll auto-default to that payment terminal during the next transaction, so a human manipulation needs to be done on every sale if you constantly switch from one to the other.

Your cash box calculations will all be gathered under 1 register, which can get confusing and annoying while using your end of day reports.

Finally, if you're using 1 register and 2 people are creating a sale, the system may not be able to differentiate the two and cause both sales to be merged, affecting both transactions, the payment attempts made on the terminals (if applicable) etc.

This really is one of those solid "we not only recommend using multiple registers, but we don't support the use of 1 register for multiple cash boxes" situations for the above reasons.

Hope this helps!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 88 ✭

"Finally, if you're using 1 register and 2 people are creating a sale, the system may not be able to differentiate the two and cause both sales to be merged, affecting both transactions, the payment attempts made on the terminals (if applicable) etc."

This is what I was told, But as the system creates seperate sale ID's this should not be possible.

MacMini A creates sale ID 45 and iPad B creates sale ID 46 and they both add items at the same time.

The only issue I can see is if they both hit "PAYMENT" at the same time and the customer pays the others bill, but I am assuming both staff members can just communicate in that case "I'm processing a payment now"

Hey @Shootersshed ,

Right, this is what you'd expect the system to do, however, if both reps who are making sale A and sale B aren't aware of the sale ID and one accidentally continues said sale, I've even seen situations where both created a sale at the same time and it ended up on the sale sale ID, causing friction on where the items belonged.

It's not supported for exactly this reason. As much as logically, it seems sound, the system sometimes cannot differentiate both users doing events at once and cause issues.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 88 ✭

But according to many comments here, paying for two registers and the same manager logging in as user on both registers causes the same sale contamination.

It can, but it's a lot less likely and also why we suggest logging in with a separate user ID and password per register.

———

All the best!

Vanessa