Label design

ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 120 
edited February 24 in Products & Inventory

Why is the label design so inefficient and horrible?

On the 2"x1.25" label, a huge black bar across the top instead of a nice neat logo which is already within the software.

A ridiculously long bar code with a long number that doesnt actually reference the product (Only the lightspeed code) that takes up half the label.

Nowhere on the label does it show the product ID. If I sell something on the iphone I have to search the description or type in the entire bar code number in....... Seriously what a joke.

A tiny little description area.

Who designed this? Someone who has never worked in retail...

I know I have an option to pay a developer to make a new label for me, but then the Zebra label printer which Lightspeed made me buy doesn't work correctly either if I do that.

What is going on here????? Why am I paying money for efficient software that doesnt have simple design structure??

Am I the only one with these issues??

<1

56 comments

• VanessaDVanessaD Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 714 moderator

Hey @Shootersshed,

Thank you for your feedback, we hear you when you say that you feel the labels could have a more polished look. We try to keep things simple so small to medium businesses find it easy to work with the software.

Of course, we also recognize that some of our customers may want a more refined appeal to their labels, which is why we offer the opportunity to custom-code a label that best suits their business needs, whatever that may be!

I'm sure if you ask nicely, that one of our community members would be happy to help you get on track to being able to set this up for yourself if you need the help! We're all about working together to bring solutions to the table.

There are also a lot of articles that exist already about manipulating the templates so you could look through those as well!

Thanks for your interest!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• ShootersshedShootersshed Member Posts: 120 

Onsite had nice looking labels as standard.

Retail has labels that don't even have a nice clear font.

I can manipulate the template, but then I can't use Zebra Print which then seems to be another huge pain in the butt.

Why not make the standard code options (The ones that show True/False ie: cents on price tag) as check boxes in the settings. Why are simple things like this left up to the customer to sort out?

I run a gun shop, not a software company. Thats why we are paying Lightspeed!

Hey Jason ,

We've opened a ticket and sent you an email regarding it so we can keep hold of your request. Once we've found a solution, we will email you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience !

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Hey @vividprint ,

Thanks for the feedback! I know that the visuals are a little grainy when using customized labels. For this reason, I've also created a ticket using your comment linked our current enhancement request to it.

Thank you so much for your input!

———

All the best!

Vanessa

Hey @seabreezes ,

As mentioned above in the thread, you are definitely not the first to bring us this feedback and we are working on being able to modify the overall aesthetics of the label (making the barcode more clear, etc).

I'll open a ticket and join it to the list of merchants wanting to push for this change.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

Barcode clarity is not an issue and has not been mentioned as an issue a single time.

The issues are:

• TEXT prints horribly. It is not clear.
    • The Black bar up top looks cheaps. Its not even black. The logo setup from Onsite was so much better.
    • No ability to remove the cents (Needs to be a check box, not a programming option)
    • No option to have the Manufact. SKU on the price label. Without this, we have to type the entire bar code in manually.
    • The actual bar code is way to big, it takes up too much real estate.
    • The bar code does not need a number. (or at least opt it away)

I have attached an image showing Onsite vs Retail and you might realise what I mean.

• seabreezesseabreezes Member Posts: 4

Vanessa, Can you help with a way to show the manufacturer's SKU on the label? We use this number to quickly identify style numbers on garments on our selling floor. We have multiple styles of black pants, as an example, and need a quick way to do a visual check of style number when organizing our sales floor. It is way too much work to scan the barcode to see where that pant belongs in the store. Onsite labels printed with this number and now Retail does not. This description based focus rather than style number focus is not helpful to us at all. How are other retailers incorporating garment style numbers into their matrix and po's, i have had to add style number in the vendor id box to have it appear on a printed PO. We receive to style numbe,r not random description. Thanks for any help on these issues.

edited March 8

The custom print labels template already has the options of "No cents", Show Vendor Number" etc, so its obviously been considered.

But to use that setup, you can't use Zebraprint (Which is a bloody horrible laggy setup in itself) and the whole design changes.

These options need to be made as simple Check Box Options instead of making us pay developers to fix Lightspeeds crappy programming design.

{% set vendor_number = false %}                    {# Display Vendor ID (if available) above Description #}

{% set show_custom_sku = false %}                  {# Display Custom SKU (if available) above Description #}

{% set show_manufacturer_sku = true %}            {# Display Manufacturer SKU (if available) above Description #}

{% set show_upc_code = false %}                    {# Display the UPC code at the top of the receipt (using UPC codes in barcode does not work) #}

{% set show_date = false %}                        {# Display today's date above description (ddmmyy formatting) #}

{% set price_with_no_cents = true %}              {# Remove cents from being displayed in price #}

Hey @seabreezes

There are a few steps you can take to enable the manufacturer SKU on your labels.

To start, you will need to disable browser print to make this work as all customization options can be attained by using the "custom label setup".

To do this, go into your settings -> locations -> Customize -> uncheck the Enable Zebra Browser print option

From there, go to settings -> Print templates (it's the very last button on the bottom)

*Note: if you don't have this option, please call-in to our support team so we can install the module for you

You can access the base print template by going to the Customizing Print Templates help article and copying the entire code located in the English (Custom) label template.

Finally, change the option for Manufacturer sku from false to true and click anywhere outside the box to save the changes.

Be mindful, when using custom labels, that you do need to set the proper sizing in settings -> General Options -> Printing tab as well.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

I tried that. It's a horrible solution as the whole format of the label changes and it's a massive pain to print.

We are retailers not programmers.

Hey @Shootersshed ,

We hear you, we promise. We are actively working on being able to modify the labels in a way that's more straight-forward for merchants to work with.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• villagescalgaryvillagescalgary Member Posts: 5
    edited March 9

This solution did not work for me.

1. There is no customize option in location in settings. So, I cannot check off the Zebra browse print option.
    2. I tried without disabling Zebra printer, manufacturer sku and custom sku, it did not work.

I dont understand the point that your support advises to contact Advision and pay for software developer. Why would we be paying Lightspeed then?

Villagescalgary - Settings -> Locations -> Customise (On the far right side) and then there is a check box down the bottom.

Hey @villagescalgary ,

Like Shootersshed mentioned, you can go through the location settings :

and click on the Customize button on the far-right

Which will display the basic settings of the location itself and allow you to enable the Browser Print option on the very bottom:

We understand and hear you when you say that you are not satisfied with being told to go and custom-code these receipts to being what you want them to be and are actively working on a solution. I'll include your name in the list of merchants requesting these kind of enhancements.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

Yes, I did the same but its not helping. It gave following problems:

1. Template did not add Man sku, even after switching it to true.
    2. I got Custom Sku once, then Zebra did not print after that. I had to enable again and then after multiple tries it printed normal labels.

Please advise how to go from there. I want to add tags in the label. I tried writing the command as it is. But nothing works

Thanks

Jaspreet

Jaspreet, once you disable Zebraprint, the whole label design and printing method changes and requires a lot of work to get it to print properly.

It is not an easy task (I just gave up wasting time on it) which is why I have requested urgent assistance with this considering we are paying a lot of money to have a working product which is less than satisfactory.

• EricRileyEricRiley Member Posts: 21

I'm going to add to the group sentiment that Lightspeed really needs a better label designer feature. Going through this trial and error with the code is ridiculous when our previous POS just let us use a wysiwyg visual designer to put any element we want on a label. Our previous labels were incredibly descriptive and in a large store like ours we NEED that level of descriptiveness to help with shelving. What I would like to see is a label formatted exactly like this:

Category - Price

Description

Custom SKU

Barcode

I know these elements are embedded in the code, and I've tried toggling categories ten different ways. Barcode keeps not printing. Things aren't in the right place. It's exceptionally frustrating when we could just be given a visual tool to drag and drop things into a template and just have that be the way Zebra prints them without going through all this.

edited March 12

Hey @EricRiley

It may be best to potentially reach out to support to have this set up, if you prefer, but we cannot make anything but the system ID the barcode, for what it's worth.

Of course, we hear your concerns and have pushed them forward to our development team for further ameliorations of the label layout.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• THEFROGTHEFROG Member Posts: 2

I agree with this whole line here. I am also coming from Onsite and I am so disappointed in the difficulty of setting up and printing tacky labels. I finally worked out all the code stuff to get our custom code to print on the label. Now it is grainy looking and if I print it on a smaller label it won't scan.

I agree who ever wrote this has never worked in retail. Like some of you have commented, I need a product code on my labels to differentiate between two items with the same description. (Like Black Pants ) We include a lot of information in those SKU's so that we can identify certain things at a glance from the ticket without having to scan it.

I also find that when I turn off Zebra Print it skips labels while printing. I waste a lot of labels that way.

Lastly, as someone else mentioned, when I am checking in items in a PO I can't check things in by description. Again, too many black pants. It would be very helpful if there was a column for custom SKU or Manufacturer SKU. Please put me on your list to notify when these problems are solved.

On a positive note, There are some really positive new features to Retail that I am finding.

Hey @THEFROG ,

Thank you for providing feedback! I've created a ticket for the enhancement request to keep you up to date and I've noted your enhancement request for adding the manufacturer SKU or Custom SKU to the Purchase Order receiving.

You mentioned you were having some difficulty scanning smaller labels. If you're using a small or jewelry label size, the system ID code that is printed as the barcode is abridged but can still be scanned if you go into your Settings -> General Options -> Printing tab and check-off the Scan Small Labels checkbox.

This will auto-complete the barcode when scanning so they can work as expected.

You also mentioned having trouble where the ZD410 was printing on every other label when using Browser Print. You could always call-in to our support team for us to help you figure this out if you like.

———

All the best!

Vanessa

• THEFROGTHEFROG Member Posts: 2

I finally gave up trying to customize my Labels. Got it to work but it has too many glitches. My work around for putting manufacturer's codes and name of manufacturer on my labels is to put all of that information in the description space. I found that printer prints three lines of "Description" on the label. This gives me plenty of room to put all of the information I need on the label. What I type into Description looks like this.

MEL-SP21-66308-SM-Side Tables

This has my vendor name Melrose, Spring of 2021, manufacturer code and description.

This is not an actual tag. Just a sample to show how much information you can get on the label. We found that if you space it out right it actually puts different information on each line. Not perfect but it is a work around until we get custom labels

Glad it works for you but with 6,000 line items its way too hard for us.

Will have to wait for the update.

• MindySMindyS Member Posts: 1

Adding myself to the list of people who would love to be notified if Lightspeed comes up with a solution to make these labels look nicer. I can't bring myself to put them on my beautiful hang tags in my high end shop.

• bluematchboxbluematchbox Member Posts: 3

I am also totally dismayed at the label printing , I got sold a Zebra printer that will only print on the Mac it is physically connected to and so have spent another £300 + on a bluetooth enable model to (hopefully) print labels from our ipads? I manged to customise a label only to being almost acceptable only to find out you can't print it inside the app !!!!

Generally Retail after Onsite , I am finding is a lot less able, less practical and has increased my work load.

• toddmtoddm Member Posts: 2

Add me to the list of customers who would like to have an easy to use, label modification program in LS.