Add multiple products to a category

PatrickManPatrickMan Member Posts: 6

I want to add multiple products to one category. I'm aware of the existing CategoriesProducts API which makes it possible to add a single product to multiple categories. But I want to do the opposite, I want to add multiple products to one category. Is this possible?

7 comments

• Ali_MasoumieAli_Masoumie Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 147 moderator

Hi,

You can write a script to do this. Basically you would need to have the product_ID's and a script to run the same piece of code for every product.

• PatrickManPatrickMan Member Posts: 6

Hey,

What if I want to update 2000 products which are in 10 different categories. Would you advice me to do 2000 API calls?

Or is there a way to do 10 API calls with the product ids in the request? (this is what I prefer)

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 881 moderator

Hi @PatrickMan,

Updating products is bases on productID https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/endpoints/product/#put-update-a-product.

When your script loops over these products keep in mind about the rate limits as well. The default limits are 300 calls per 5 min. So you'll have to built in a sleep to avoid hitting these limits. Your developer should know this.

I hope this helps.

Hi @LucienVersendaal ,

I am a developer and I know how the API works. But I think that the current API works very inefficient when it comes to adding products to a category.

Instead of doing 200 API calls to sort 200 products in a category, I want to do it in a single API call. For example a bulk insert which allows you to insert multiple products into a single category.

Besides the bulk insert, a PUT method on the categoriesProduct endpoint to update the SortOrder would also help.

I hope you can help me with this.

• LucienVersendaalLucienVersendaal Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 881 moderator

@PatrickMan,

Unfortunately, there is no other way to do it at this moment.

The categoryProduct endpoint is only managing the relationship between categories and products.

I will make a feature request for adding multiple products into a category.

edited April 19

Thank you! @LucienVersendaal

Can I track the status of this feature request? We're really depending on it.

@PatrickMan

I've sent you the ticket.