Not Enough Employee Permission

StephenStephen Member Posts: 2
edited February 26 in Feedback

Too many of the options in Employee Roles include too many things. For instance, if I want a manager to be able to add employees to her location or be able to edit clock-ins (say one of her employees forgot to clock in), I have to give her access to Employee Setup. Well, the problem with that is now she can edit her own permissions... so she can do whatever she wants. More than that, she can now edit MY permissions. This is obviously a problem.

A lot of the permissions are this way; all or nothing. Like reports, say I want an employee to see a certain report like check how they're doing on sales for the day. Well, that means I have to give them access to ALL reports. It's just too much.

On the topic of sales. If an employee is locked to a location, then there is no way to give that employee permission to view sales at any other locations. So, if they need to do a return, but the customer doesn't have their receipt, they have to call the other store in order to get the transaction number.

Lightspeed introduced a tool about a year ago called "Sales History," where an employee could look up specific sales from another location, but they recently bricked that tool by limiting visibility only to the store which they are locked.

A permission is needed to be able to see sales at other locations, but not be able to ring sales in that location. Because the only option now is to allow an employee access to all stores. Well, that's a nightmare because now we have employees accidentally clocking in at the wrong location or accidentally ringing sales in the wrong location.

Overall there just needs to be more thought about the permission options.

13 comments

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 760 moderator

Hey @Stephen ,

Thank you very much for providing this information! I've added the details to feature request list.

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 2

No worries. Thanks @VanessaD

• chriswchrisw Member Posts: 1

This is critical for us, too. I have gone through checkbox by checkbox under Employee Roles to give employees the access that the need, but the only way they get to that level is checking the Report box, but then they get WAY too much info. There really needs to be a way to give better access to people on a limited basis without giving them access to the entire farm, including full sales history, etc.

• SethMSethM Member Posts: 88 ✭

Glad to see i'm not the only one with this request.

• KentCKentC Member Posts: 2

I'm sure that we've been requesting better permissions for longer than Lightspeed has owned this POS. Just a long list of feature requests and bug fixes that are put aside to spend effort getting new accounts and making the stockholders happy.

Exhausted,

Kent

• TrentTrent Member Posts: 8

I would also like to be notified when employee permissions for Lightspeed Retail are given an update :)

• SethMSethM Member Posts: 88 ✭

I would also like to be notified when the system updates with better permissions options. A few of our own requests on this would include separating layaways and special orders, separating creating/ editing items, and many more specifics under the settings category.

• emacgeeemacgee Member Posts: 41 ✭

I'll also stress the need for more granular employee permissions. We run into many instances in which we can't provide specific enough permissions and end up having to deny or allow things that are very inconvenient due to other things they're tied to. Onsite had much more specific permissions options and it was very helpful.

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 47

Employee permissions definitely need to be much more granular. I just found out that the ability to add serial numbers is included in the "Inventory - Product Create & Edit" permission. That should be a separate permission!

edited September 8

"I'm sure that we've been requesting better permissions for longer than Lightspeed has owned this POS. Just a long list of feature requests and bug fixes that are put aside to spend effort getting new accounts and making the stockholders happy.

Exhausted,

Kent"

@KentC You've been requesting better permissions since before 2013? Seems like a safe bet that it's never going to happen then. ☹️ Have you seen them make any significant improvements since then?

Post edited by BenV on
  • TWirgauTWirgau Member Posts: 1

We are also in need of this sort of detailed permissions. It has become an increasing issue that creates a great deal of frustration. We are hoping this could be completed soon or bumped up in priority please?

@EddieR Yeah...it's not going to cost them any money until enough of us get fed up and jump ship. They might start caring then.