Lighspeed hub missing critical features compared to browser printing and Zebra Browser Print!

brooksandcollierbrooksandcollier Member Posts: 1

The new Lightspeed Hub app (see https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045093454-About-Lightspeed-Hubdoes not meet our printing needs.

Please do not remove the previous printing methods and critical features!!!

Receipt Printing

=============

Previously, receipt printing opened up a new web page or tab that then allowed us to select any printed connected to the Mac to print to, whether a local USB printer or a network printer.

This functionality is critical, as, depending on circumstance, we do not always print receipts to the local USB receipt printer. This is important for back office computers that do not have a receipt printer attached via USB (instead attached through the network), as well as the need to print receipts on 8.5x11in letter paper for our delivery drivers. In the case of printing receipts to 8.5x11in paper, Lightspeed has never had an issue with that, and the receipts already correctly reflow to the larger page dimensions.

After configuring the Lightspeed Hub application, receipts only and immediately print to the local USB receipt printer

Label Printing

===========

Previously, label printing utilized the Zebra Browser Print application.

The Zebra Browser Print application allowed us to install multiple local USB and network label printers, and when printing from Lightspeed, we were able to select which installed Zebra label printer to print to.

This functionality is critical, as, depending on circumstance, we do not always print labels to the local USB label printer. This is important for back office computers that do not have a label printer attached via USB (instead attached through the network to Zebra Browser Print), as well as the need to print outdoor labels via a separate network-connected Zebra label printer.

After configuring the Lightspeed Hub application, labels only and immediately print to the local USB label printer.

Conclusion

==========

We have uninstalled the Lightspeed Hub app for the time being to restore the previous critical features.

Please:

1. Restore the ability to choose printing behavior for receipts when printing each receipt. It is OK if the Lightspeed Hub-connected receipt printer is an option, as long as we can also select any other printer connected to the computer, such as a network-connected receipt printer or 8.5x11in letter printer. And in the case of printing to 8.5x11in paper, as has previously been the case, the receipt needs to resize to properly fit the larger paper size.

2. Restore the ability to choose printing behavior for labels when printing each label, allowing both local and network-connected Zebra label printers.

5 comments

• EmmaHEmmaH Member Posts: 12

Hi, we have the same problem. Previously we also had Lightspeed hub activated but could still prick a printer and the layout would be adjusted as per the css styling in the template. Now it just prints on the receipt printer automatically. I suspect it has something to do with an update, but support denies that there have been any.

I disabled Lightspeed hub now, but the output is either the small receipt layout or the big one depending on which one shows in the iframe preview. (I adjusted the breakpoint width)

Have you found a solution yet @brooksandcollier ?

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 706 

I don't understand why the whole printing mechanism had to be implemented in such a convoluted manner. If are talking about printing from a computer via the Retail web, why not allow the native web browser printing selection dialog to do the work? The default/last printer is displayed, and the user can hit the drop-down to select a different printer destination if they so desire.

And when it comes to product tag printing, why have the buggy Zebra BrowserPrint in the first place? Again, let the client's web browser natively do the heavy lifting? I'd say at least once a week I have users whose Zebra middleware bugs out. Either due to the localhost SSL cert, losing some other config element, etc.

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 44

@gregarican "If are talking about printing from a computer via the Retail web, why not allow the native web browser printing selection dialog to do the work?"

I believe they do still allow that because that's how we're doing it. We only use Hub for our receipt printers and we don't use ZBP.

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 706 

I was thinking more about the product tag printing to the Zebra label printers. Figure the user is accessing Retail via a web browser, but the ZBP middleware is sitting there and occasionally fouling up the print jobs. Although it's been awhile since I've looked out there for the latest recommendations. Perhaps the ZBP middleware has been removed from the loop with respect to Retail? I'm not familiar with the Lightspeed Hub, so I'll have to read up on things some. 😀

• BenVBenV Member Posts: 44

I was talking about label printing with Zebra printers as well. We use Hub for our receipt printers but not label printers. You can disable ZBP by going to Settings/Locations/<location>/Customize and unchecking "Enable Zebra Browser Print and Lightspeed Hub". Once you've done that you can use the native web browser printing selection when printing labels.