Requiring payment of a minimum deposit for special order.

eosdeosd Member Posts: 5

In our business we have lots of special orders (really back orders from the vendor). We require 100% payment for a special order. However, today, our cashiers sometimes forget to add the deposit and the special order is accepted without payment. In our previous system, we could specify a minimum payment for a special order (or a layaway) and this was included in the total due without having to remember to directly apply a deposit to their credit account. It also seems that if you add the deposit, then return to the sales ticket, the deposit is removed.

11 comments

• SethMSethM Member Posts: 90 ✭

This would be so helpful! We require 25% on all our special orders at minimum. It seems that forgetting to take this deposit ends with us being stuck with a random special order because they never came back for it.

• visaliacycleryvisaliacyclery Member Posts: 2

Yes there should be a trigger just like the serial # prompt that when special orders are being checked out that the percent you selected automatically gets applied.

• emacgeeemacgee Member Posts: 63 

I'll jump in on this topic. Our business would also love to see this feature added. It would be very beneficial to require a minimum deposit on Special Orders and it's a very common practice.

• Uncle_MiltonUncle_Milton Member Posts: 53

Oh I like this idea!! a prompt for a deposit and the ability to set a percentage amount would be awesome!! better yet would be if the special items are under XX dollars 100% prepayment and if over XX dollars then X% deposit required.

• dkoleanb21dkoleanb21 Member Posts: 18 ✭

While I think it would be helpful to require it, I also think it would be extremely helpful for Lightspeed to make it easier to see the customer's account balance on the special order screen.

I usually have to drill down and click on the customer's name and look to see if there's a deposit or not. We've had our staff use the notes area on the special order to detail whether the customer made a deposit, but it would be much neater and more efficient if Lightspeed presented the information on the special order screen.

@dkoleanb21 Not sure if it helps, but the payment/deposit information is visible from the Special Order as soon as you hit the Payment button. It's slightly fewer clicks than accessing the customer profile and then their Account.

• dkoleanb21dkoleanb21 Member Posts: 18 ✭

@emacgee Thank you for the suggestion. I was talking about view special orders on the special orders list page (https://us.merchantos.com/?name=special_order.listings.special_orders&form_name=listing)

I'd prefer to be able to see if a deposit has been made when I'm looking at the full-list of special orders rather than drilling down into the customer view on each one.

@dkoleanb21 Ahhhhh, that would be nice.

Perhaps @VD_LS could pass on a feature request for the addition of a Status regarding 'paid' or 'deposit' for special orders. It's already possible to mark a Special Order as 'Completed' or 'Called'. Begs to reason that adding something like 'Paid' or 'Deposit made' would be an easy addition.

• SamASamA Member Posts: 36

Great suggestions in this thread

• MPdesMPdes Member Posts: 2

100% agree with this post. We do lots of layaways and Special orders and I'd love for my employees to stop forgetting to ask for a deposit ! We require full payment on in stock items on layaways and 30% on special order items.

• VD_LSVD_LS Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 796 moderator

Hey @emacgee

Since this is already in the feedback forum, it's already in the right place! But thank you for taking the time to flag me.

Happy holidays!

———

If you have any further questions Please do not hesitate to contact LightSpeed support or check out our Support Page.

All the best!

Vanessa

Lightspeed Retail Support

866-932-1801 ext. 2 (Toll-Free)

514-907-1801 ext. 2 (Montreal)