Custom Alerts in Retail Desktop POS ?

LiquidLukeLiquidLuke Posts: 26Member
Hi there I'm curious to know if its possible to create an alert for an cashier about a customer's account when they add the customer to a sale. For instance ig that customer has a certain amount of points that would make an item about to be purchased free? I know the logic to check variables and can be made but i was hoping I could add a customer button that would appear to allow the employee to notify the customer and apply the discount or what ever it may be? I'm hoping to prevent the task of having to make the cashier check every customers profile to see eligibility. 
Much thanks for everyone's help!

7 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 470Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator
    Hey @LiquidLuke,

Great question!

See if you like this workflow:

1. Cashier adds customer to sale
    2. Cashier presses custom button that sends a request to your own middleware to query latest sale on that register and get the customer info from that sale, run another query to see the account status of that customer and then display it on a UI made by yourself on a separate tab.
    - Button on this UI is configured to send current info about customer
    - Button on this UI also enables you to add relevant discount via POST request

These buttons are called "Custom Menus" in the app and can be read about here: https://retail-support.lightspeedhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/229518207-A-detailed-overview-of-custom-menus

3. POST request adds miscellaneous negative charge to apply discount
    4. Cashier adds relevant items and completes sale

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• LiquidLukeLiquidLuke Posts: 26Member
    That sounds plausible!! Given your work flow could we avoid the seperate tab an limit the response to a prompt? So it would be: 
    1 cashier clicks button "check points"
    2 a call get made to query the current sale and then get custom field value and displays prompt with available discounts as, say radio buttons and an Apply or Cancel button.
    Cashier clicks apply which will apply preconfigured discount as selected. And adjusts user records accordingly

Does that sound doable?
    @LiquidLuke i'm glad you like it! Since there isn't an API to affect the UI of the web app, to get around the separate tab conundrum you might explore utilising a browser extension, though that will have to be installed on every computer of use. I would suggest using the custom menus and selecting the option to make the tab appear on a different tab. This requires less calls because when you fire a new tab from the custom menus the URL actually contains the current sale. For example, try entering the URL of https://google.com and you'll see how Lightspeed adds additional parameters to it which would save some API call points for you

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

I like that idea of an extension but you dont think an alert box could be called to open? even a generic one used to display data ? I like to set up my register in full screen mode so it looks more proprietary is the reason
    @LiquidLuke it's a good idea but there simply isn't the capacity to do that in the app unless you mutate the DOM.

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

Well it's definitely a ways out before i get that far. Either way I appreciate the ideas and will probably implement something using the custom button functions, it suddenly opens a lot of new ideas for me.
    Thanks for the help!
    Anytime! :)

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ