Workaround sync Accounts Receivable lightspeed accounting

GautamGautam Member Posts: 2
After signing up for lightspeed accounting, I found out that I cannot sync my customer credit accounts across to my accounting software (quickbook) the main reason for this was the ability to analyze the ageing of my AR. I don't understand how this is not possible under lightspeed accounting and is a vital piece of information when running a business. Which means having a cloud based point of sale, having analytics, Omni channel e commerce, but no Accounts Receivable. Please I have there is someone who has thought of a workaround.

FYI this feature was available when I was running QuickBooks point of sale 2013 and QuickBooks desktop 2012. It's 2019, this is has to be possible.

5 comments

• gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 337 
    edited January 28
    We found similar challenges when it comes to customer AR aging. There really aren't baked in reports or exports that can provide this. Thankfully the one of our three retail companies that uses LS Retail doesn't have a great deal of customer AR. 

We found that LS Retail customer "accounts" are more or less just a big catch-all pot. Really more of a blend of positive and negative transaction types. For example, a customer who returns an item for refund and wants to purchase something else down the road sometime. That's an in-store credit. Another high profile customer who wants to take home an item we just put on a charge account, so they can pay us later. Then a different customer who wishes to put an item on layaway and makes an initial deposit. Whereas another customer places a special order and makes that deposit. And so on.

The problem in our world is that for accounting and financial reporting reasons, all of these transaction types needs to be separately reportable. Since a special order for an item we don't have possession of is different than a layaway that we do have possession of. And a customer who has in-store credit is different than a customer who owes us money. It sounds simple and it is. But unfortunately LS Retail isn't build from splitting out the pot. At least with canned reporting. Another reason we won't migrate our other companies to this solution.

Through the API you could pull the different transactions and break them out into separate pots through an external DB table set or something. That's personally what I would do if I were forced to move our other companies to LS Retail. That way you can get at the data that you need easier...
  • GautamGautam Member Posts: 2
    Hey Gregarican, 

Thank you for your reply. My main item to track is "high profile customer who wants to take home an item we just put on a charge account, so they can pay us later." I have a group of people, companies and more who pay later basis. I wanted to automate reminders to these customers that they owe me money and how long ago it has been. Instead of a manual transaction each time. 

"Through the API you could pull the different transactions and break them out into separate pots through an external DB table set or something." How would I do this? 
  • gregaricangregarican Member Posts: 337 
    That's a rather long reply in the making on my part :smiley:

For starters, you'd query endpoints such as these:

https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/endpoints/Customer/
    https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/endpoints/CreditAccount/
    https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/retail/endpoints/SalePayment/

There are common keys between these endpoints. For example the creditAccountID. If you query these endpoints, then take the JSON replies and insert them into SQL database tables then you can look at timestamped transactional activity of the SalePayment lines in order to determine which customers owe you how much payments between which dates/times.

That's a start at least. If you haven't worked through API or SQL development work then this type of task might be a stretch. I'd recommend perhaps looking for a third-party development resources who is familiar with LS Retail's API and well versed in SQL.
  • messhiasmesshias Member Posts: 35
    Did you try using relations for that? I mean, when you get your customer data uses the CreditAccount relation to get related data.

• NickSNickS Member Posts: 9

Gosh - this is worrying. Just in the process of transitioning to Lightspeed and very alarmed by what I have seen so far in terms of integration of POS and accounting software. Why would you set things up this way?! As far as I can tell Lightspeed only transfers accounting information on a cash basis and then the transaction journals are either aggregated as an entire day's worth of transactions or are split into item level sales detail as opposed to transaction level detail with each sale relating to a single 'invoice' in the POS side of things. Very bizarre - I assume not written by accountants?