How to create custom shipping method?

fmsthirdfmsthird Member Posts: 31
edited April 23 in Apps & Integrations

I want to create custom shipping method like the one in the image below

can someone point me to where I can start?

Post edited by fmsthird on
Tags:

16 comments

• JoeyJoey Administrator, Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 197 moderator

To create your own shipping integration I recommend starting here: https://developers.lightspeedhq.com/ecom/tutorials/create-a-shipping-integration/

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ
  • fmsthirdfmsthird Member Posts: 31
    1. Thanks Joey. I was reading the documentation and found that I can start developing an app using custom connection with a single shop; But there is a message after that says "Connection type: Custom connection with a single shop; then you don’t need this tutorial and do not have to become a partner.

edited April 24

Thanks again, Joey. Sorry a lot of questions, I am really a newbie here. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. My goal is to create a custom shipping method and that custom shipping method will be displayed in the Admin Shipping Method Configuration panel(like the above-attached image)

The custom shipping method will have its own custom configuration wherein the shop owner can set some configurations.

Is it possible to do it and how?

I don't see any parts from the backend wherein I can directly start coding. Thanks again

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Moderator, Lightspeed Staff Posts: 569 moderator

Hey @fmsthird, you cannot add your application to appear in the view of the admin section, that is reserved for internally built integrations.

You'd need to have a separate UI where you can handle those configurations.

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

@Adrian Samuel Oh this is a not so good news for me. You mean those shipping methods like the one above, let's say the bpost is internally built app?

So there is really no way I can create the same app for my custom shipping method?

@fmsthird yes, the actual backoffice UI is controlled by our internal devs.

You do however have the option to create an eCom app which is visible from the app store section in the backoffice :)

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

edited April 25

@Adrian Samuel thanks. that's great! but is it really need to be that kind of app? I mean the app visible for app store? Because I was reading the documentation it says, there are two types of app the one for custom connection for single shop and the one for public which will be available for app store. And for the second one, I need to contact them first for the key and other necessary things. It requires a partnership account (I think).

Can I just build an app using my normal account?

I'm completely innocent about where to start developing my custom app (custom shipping method). Don't even have an idea how and where webshop files are stored for a developer to start.

You're right about that @fmsthird , if you want to limit this shipping integration to just the eCom stores you're managing then you'll want to only use API keys which then means you'll have to build a UI for the person who's interacting with it since there's no space for that within Lightspeed.

You can just build using your normal account. Contact eCommerce support for your API credentials and you can start from there using the tutorial my colleague linked above.

All your application files and hosting needs to be on your own server.

You could use ngrok for secure localhost tunneling for testing whilst you build.

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

edited April 25

I think I'm getting it already. Thank you so much @Adrian Samuel and @Joey for your attention. One last clarification, it means that the UI that I am going to build for the person (admin user of the webshop) will be used accessible from the outside of the webshop admin panel (will not display on the shipping method configuration the same image above)?

In case it will be a totally different (I mean external) app of the webshop? Am I right? or it will be displayed as well but the UI for the configuration will be from the outside of the webshop?

You are welcome and correct, you will have to host your own UI admin for the merchant to set up the configuration.

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ

Be aware that public apps work the same way and also require a separate/self hosted admin page.

eCom Support Team
    Lightspeed HQ

This means, the admin of the webshop needs to go to my separate admin configuration page? And that also means, there is no way I can integrate an app (custom shipping method) that can be accessed in admin panel like the built-in shipping methods(in the above image)?

Thank you again for response.

@fmsthird , the admin of your custom shipping method needs to go there.

That is correct, there is no way you can integrate your app configuration into the back-office admin UI.

Wish you all the best on this venture!

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ