Items with multiple SKUs but are the same item inventory-wise

kiddywampus1kiddywampus1 Posts: 11Member

We have items that have multiple SKUs, and we're not sure how to set them up.

For example we might have a total of 10 of Item A in our store, but five will be tagged with SKU 1, three with SKU 2 and two with SKU 3. Every time one of these items, regardless of SKU number, is sold, we expect the total inventory number to be reduced.

I thought that using a Matrix would work, but now that I've looked at it, it's meant more for items that have differences such as color and different inventory totals.

Does anyone have a solution to our issue? Thanks!

8 comments

• Adrian SamuelAdrian Samuel Posts: 521Moderator, Lightspeed Staff moderator

@kiddywampus1 the best option you have is to create one item, tag it as serialised and let the SKU be the serial number, that way you can track the individual units whilst accounting for a general decrease in stock for the listed item. At the checkout you have the option of selecting the serial number. In your instance you'd select the serial number (which is the SKU) and sell it

Adrian Samuel

API Integrations Consultant - Strategic Solutions

Lightspeed HQ

• kiddywampus1kiddywampus1 Posts: 11Member
    edited May 3

Thanks, that may work. The only concern I have is scanning the tag. Tags should have a different skus...not sure if that is going to happen with a serialized item? I did attempt to look it up by the different skus assigned, and only the primary one finds the item. Any thoughts?

It wouldn't work with scanning, and serialised numbers won't appear on the label.

Our understanding of industry is that all iterations of the same item share the same SKU. Any variation in SKU would be due to model, make, colour, brand season etc, but in essence it's not the same item so thus has one SKU and a shared SKU.

Serialising is the only way we'll account for specification within the same SKU.

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

OK, I'll have to talk to our manager to figure out if we need to create separate items with separate inventories, or if she can make this work with a primary sku and serialized sub-skus (so to speak). It will require her to rethink how she's doing these types of items.

I spoke to our store owner and got more information about our issue.

We have a toy store, which means some of our items are a bit different. These items are coming to us direct from the seasonal catalogs. They have a different sku in the catalog that acts as an alias for existing items in the store, and need to be tracked under the correct catalog sku during specific times of the year. For example, we may already have 10 of ItemA in our store, but during the Holiday season we need to track sales of this item under the specific holiday/seasonal sku from the catalog, like TGTG_HO17_CT1762.

Our store owner was told that this was possible, we just need to know how to set it up. I also have a call into Support about this issue, but any further info here would probably help other toy stores out there. Thanks!

@kiddywampus1 excellent!

Adrian Samuel

Lightspeed HQ

Well, it turns out that solution will NOT work after all. Again, we have three skus applied to the same item, per the catalogs. We already have these items in inventory, and to not want to create multiple items with multiple inventory amounts because the are the same item. Again, the example is we may have 10 of the same item, with 3 items tagged with SKU1, 3 items tagged with SKU2, and 4 items tagged with SKU3.

This situation arises when we have toy holiday catalogs, and the sku on the item is changed by the vendor. When you bring that item in it can have a different sku each time. And we need to be able to track against each sku for sales.

Serial numbers DO NOT WORK in this situation. Because you cannot re-choose the same serial number. And in this situation, we may have 3 items with the same "serial" number.

When we signed up for this system, we were assured it could handle this situation. What other work solutions are there for this problem?